Black Feminists conflicted over Democratic primary

Home Forums Black America News Black Feminists conflicted over Democratic primary

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Hannibal X Hannibal X 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Hannibal X
    Hannibal X
    Keymaster
    23 pts

Black Feminists conflicted over Democratic primary

Ask a black feminist whether she prefers Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders, and you very well might hear “Neither.”

“I long for Shirley Chisholm to be running, to be really honest,” said Renee Bracey Sherman, a reproductive justice activist in Washington, D.C.

Alas for Bracey Sherman, the congresswoman who in 1972 was the first major-party black candidate to run for president, and who promised a “bloodless revolution,” isn’t running. (Chisholm died over a decade ago.) But two candidates who vow to make history in their own ways are, and Bracey Sherman, like many black feminists MSNBC interviewed, is ambivalent.

“I’m definitely weighing my options,” she said. “A lot of my beliefs on economic policies fall in line with Bernie Sanders. However, he is not able to connect the way that gender and race intersect with economic inequality the way Hillary does.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.